- Windows 11 build 22000.778 rolls out as update KB5014668.
- The update rolls out search highlights and changes for WinRM and SMB.
- These non-security fixes and improvements will release during the next Patch Tuesday.
- The update was previously available in the Release Preview Channel as build 22000.776.
As part of the next cumulative update for Windows 11 21H2, the update KB5014668 is now available as an optional update in the stable channel (formerly build 22000.776 in the Release Preview Channel). Since this update is in the testing phase, it only has bug fixes, improvements, and new features but doesn’t include any security patches.
The update KB5014668 bumps the version number to build 22000.776, and according to the announcement (Release Preview announcement), this release brings changes for Server Message Block (SMB), Windows Remote Management (WinRM), and introduces the new search highlights for Windows Search.
In addition, the non-security update also packs a slew of other fixes and improvements for the original release of Windows 11.
Update KB5014668 fixes and changes for Windows 11
These are the fixes and new features available with the latest update preview of Windows 11:
- Added IP address auditing for incoming Windows Remote Management (WinRM) connections in security event 4262 and WinRM event 91. And fixed an issue that fails to log the source IP address and machine name for a remote PowerShell connection.
- Added Server Message Block (SMB) redirector (RDR) specific public File System Control (FSCTL) code FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_INFO.
- Made the SMB client and SMB server cipher suite order configurable using PowerShell.
- Search highlights will roll out to Windows 11 customers over the next several weeks.
- Fixed an issue that might cause an upgrade to Windows 11 (original release) to fail.
- Fixed an issue that displays Japanese characters incorrectly in PowerShell.
- Fixed an issue that affects the Cloud Clipboard service and prevents syncing between machines after a period of inactivity.
- Fixed an issue that fails to hide the Windows Sandbox startup screen after Sandbox starts to run.
- Fixed an issue that causes a device that has a Japanese system locale to stop working when you disable end-user-defined characters (EUDCs).
- Enabled the InternetExplorerModeEnableSavePageAs Group Policy. For more information, see Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation.
- Provided the ability to use a network proxy during Universal Print operations.
- Fixed an issue that might cause the playback of consecutive video clips to fail in games that use DirectX 12 (DX12).
- Fixed an issue that causes certain games to stop working if they use the XAudio API to play sound effects.
- Fixed an issue that affects some certificate chains to Root Certification Authorities that are members of the Microsoft Root Certification Program. For these certificates, the certificate chain status can be, “This certificate was revoked by its certification authority”.
- Fixed an issue that prevents the use of Encrypted File System (EFS) files over a Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) connection.
- Fixed an issue that causes a domain controller to incorrectly write Key Distribution Center (KDC) event 21 in the System event log. This occurs when the KDC successfully processes a Kerberos Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication (PKINIT) authentication request with a self-signed certificate for key trust scenarios (Windows Hello for Business and Device Authentication).
- Fixed an issue that prevents Bluetooth from reconnecting to some audio devices after you restart the devices.
- Fixed an issue that occurs when the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Service (LDS) resets the password for userProxy objects. The password reset fails with an error such as, “00000005: SvcErr: DSID-03380C23, problem 5003 (WILL_NOT_PERFORM), data 0”.
- Fixed an issue that causes Microsoft NTLM authentication using an external trust to fail. This issue occurs when a domain controller that contains the January 11, 2022, or later Windows update services the authentication request, is not in a root domain and does not hold the Global Catalog role. The affected operations might log the following errors: The security database has not been started. The domain was in the wrong state to perform the security operation. 0xc00000dd (STATUS_INVALID_DOMAIN_STATE).
- Fixed an issue that causes the LocalUsersAndGroups configuration service provider (CSP) policy to fail when you modify the built-in Administrators group. This issue occurs if the local Administrator account isn’t specified in the membership list when you perform a replace operation.
- Fixed an issue in which malformed XML inputs might cause an error in DeviceEnroller.exe. This prevents CSPs from being delivered to the device until you restart the device or correct the XML.
- Fixed an issue that might cause Windows 11 (original release) to stop working when you install an application and there is no network connectivity.
- Updated the Start menu to display Windows PowerShell when you right-click (Win + X) the Start button after you have uninstalled Windows Terminal.
- Changed the name of the Your Phone app to Phone Link on the Settings page.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Microsoft Surface Dial customization settings page to stop working.
Install Windows 11 build 22000.778
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 22000.778, you will need to open the “Windows Update” settings and click the Check for Updates button.