- Microsoft divides Beta Channel into two channels to test feature rollouts.
- Group one will get Windows 11 build 22622.290 and group two will get build 22621.290.
- The first group will receive new features enabled and the second group will have them disabled.
- You can always check again for updates to download the package that enables the new features.
Microsoft is splitting its testing Beta Channel into two groups. The first group will receive the Windows 11 build 22622.290 with new features turned on through an enablement package, while the second group will receive the build 22621.290 with features turned off by default.
According to the company, this approach will help test delivery features turned off by default, detect and disable features causing problems, and control the rollout of new features.
Microsoft also says most users will get the builds from the 22622.xxx branch. However, if you receive builds from the 22621.xxx branch, you can check for updates manually again to download from the 22622.xxx branch.
Furthermore, the company stays those changes in the Beta Channel don’t indicate changes for final feature rollouts for Windows 11.
As for the new changes available with the release, Windows 11 build 22622.290 brings the Suggested Actions, a new feature that brings up inline suggestions to create a calendar event or make a phone call when copying a date, time, or phone number.
For example, if you copied a phone number, the inline flyout would suggest making the call with Microsoft Teams or other apps available on the computer. Or coping a date or time will recommend creating a calendar event, and when you choose the app, an event will be created with all the information already filled in.
Also, in addition to showing the Microsoft 365 subscription information in the “Accounts” section of the Settings app, the page will display details about OneDrive Standalone 100GB subscription information in this release. You will see OneDrive storage usage, billing, and payment method details as part of the information.
Fixes and improvements
If you end up with build 22622.290, then you will receive the fixes available with build 22621.290, plus some additional improvements for File Explorer, including:
- Middle clicking a folder in the body of File Explorer will now open it in a new tab.
- The row of tabs should now be included in the keyboard focus cycle when pressing Tab or F6. Once focus is in the tab row, you can use left or right arrow keys to navigate through them.
- Made some adjustments for when “Display the full path in the title bar” is enabled, to ensure that the folder name is always visible.
- Fixed a scaling issue that could result in the tabs being unexpectedly large.
- Right-clicking a tab and then clicking somewhere else in File Explorer should dismiss the context menu more reliably now.
If you end up with build 22621.290, then you will receive these fixes and improvements:
- Added Server Message Block (SMB) redirector (RDR) specific public File System Control (FSCTL) code FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_INFO.
- Added support for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3 in Windows client and server Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) implementations.
- Updated the Remove-Item cmdlet to properly interact with Microsoft OneDrive folders
- Enabled the InternetExplorerModeEnableSavePageAs Group Policy.
- Fixed an issue that causes the Take Photo button to disappear when you use a common file dialog to open the camera.
- Fixed an issue that prevents devices from receiving an offer from Windows Update for the same extension driver when that extension driver is already installed without the base driver.
- Fixed an issue that causes install from media (IFM) creation for Active Directory to fail with the error, “2101 JET_errCallbackFailed”.
- Fixed an issue that occurs when the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Service (LDS) resets the password for userProxy objects. The password reset fails with an error such as, “00000005: SvcErr: DSID-03380C23, problem 5003 (WILL_NOT_PERFORM), data 0”.
- Enabled the InternetExplorerModeEnableSavePageAs Group Policy. For more information, see Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation.
- Fixed an issue that occurs when the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Service (AD LDS) resets the password for userProxy objects. When you try to reset someone else’s password and you are authenticated using a simple bind, the password reset fails. The error is like, “00000005: SvcErr: DSID-03380C23, problem 5003 (WILL_NOT_PERFORM), data 0”.
- Fixed an issue that prevents Microsoft Edge from being available in Windows Sandbox.
Furthermore, there are some other known issues with File Explorer and crashes with some UI components.
Install Windows 11 build 22622.290 and 22621.290
If you want to download and install the Windows 11 build 22622.290 or 22621.290, you need to enroll your device in the Beta Channel using the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Update & Security” section.
Once you enroll the computer in the program, you can download build 22622.290 or 22621.290 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the Check for Updates button. If the device receives build 22621.290, you can check again for updates to download build 22622.290.